Following is the text of a new memorandum of understanding between the SIU and Intrepid Personnel and Provisioning. For a PDF copy, click HERE.
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN
INTREPID PERSONNEL & PROVISIONING (IPP)
SEAFARERS INTERNATIONAL UNION (SIU)
Effective January 1, 2022, in an effort to accommodate the Seafarers working aboard commercial vessels owned and/or operated by Crowley/Intrepid Personnel & Provisioning (IPP) and to keep the vessels trading, SIU and Crowley/IPP have agreed to the following COVID protocols for vessels operating in the Jones Act trade (excluding MSC chartered vessels):
- Existing Permanent unlicensed Seafarers will not be required to be vaccinated in order to maintain employment with the Company.
- The Company shall have discretion to hire Seafarers who are vaccinated over unvaccinated Seafarers.
In order to accommodate unvaccinated Seafarers onboard, the following protocols shall be enacted for unvaccinated Seafarers:
- Unvaccinated Seafarers shall be restricted to the ship with no additional compensation for the duration of their assignment onboard. The Company will work to arrange delivery of online shopping goods, sundries, etc. for the time onboard. Vaccinated Seafarers who take shore leave shall continue to have to social distance and mask for 10 days as is the current practice.
- Unvaccinated mariners shall be required to eat their meals in their rooms the first 10 days on board and then socially distance as much as can be reasonably accommodated while eating meals in the galley/mess areas.
- Unvaccinated Seafarers may be subject to additional testing requirements both at sign- on and for the period of time they are onboard.
- Unvaccinated Seafarers will be required to wear masks at all times while out of their stateroom for the duration of their assignments and shall maintain appropriate social distancing.
- Unvaccinated Seafarers may be subject to vessel reassignment in order to facilitate a fully vaccinated crew being onboard. Fully vaccinated Seafarers cannot be transferred for this provision unless mutually agreed upon between the Company and Union.
- Seafarers who elect to start the vaccine protocol while onboard shall be allowed to exit these additional safety protocols upon being fully vaccinated. (2-weeks after the single J&J shot, or 2-weeks after the second Moderna or Pfizer shot)
Other safety protocols with respect to visitors, vendors, and similar parties remain unchanged.
AGREED TO THIS 28th DAY OF DECEMBER, 2021.