May 4, 2020
Pursuant to Article X, section 1(e) of our Constitution, I am submitting my Pre-Balloting Report. As everyone is aware, the existence of the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in the adoption of procedural changes by most organizations and businesses around the world. The SIU Executive Board, in an effort to protect the health and safety of the membership and staff, has suspended in-person membership meetings until it is deemed safe to resume them. My pre-balloting report, by constitution and practice, is generally read at the regular May membership meetings; however, at this time it appears unlikely that we will be able to hold in-person meetings in May. We will endeavor to get the information contained in my report to the membership by all means reasonably possible. The following is my report.
The balloting for our General Election of Officers for the term 2021-2024 will commence on November 1, 2020 and continue through December 31, 2020. The election will be conducted under the provisions of our Constitution, as amended and effective March 15, 2013, and such other voting procedures as our Secretary-Treasurer may direct.
I have, in consultation with our Executive Board and Port Representatives, made a careful appraisal of the needs of this union, its membership and its currently existing constitutional ports. We have carefully considered the changes that have taken place in the maritime industry over the last few years, with a view toward meeting the ever-changing demands.
It is my recommendation, in accordance with our Constitution, that the following offices be placed on the ballot in the 2020 General Election of Officers for the term 2021–2024:
- 1 President
- 1 Executive Vice President
- 1 Secretary-Treasurer
- 1 Vice President in Charge of Contracts and Contract Enforcement
- 1 Vice President in Charge of the Atlantic Coast
- 1 Vice President in Charge of the Gulf Coast
- 1 Vice President in Charge of the West Coast
- 1 Vice President in Charge of the Southern Region, Great Lakes, and Inland Waters
- 1 Vice President in Charge of Government Services and Fishing Industries
- 1 Assistant Vice President in Charge of Contracts and Contract Enforcement
- 1 Assistant Vice President in Charge of the Atlantic Coast
- 1 Assistant Vice President in Charge of the Gulf Coast
- 1 Assistant Vice President in Charge of the West Coast
- 1 Assistant Vice President in Charge of the Southern Region, Great Lakes and Inland Waters
- 1 Assistant Vice President in Charge of Government Services and Fishing Industries
- 10 Port Agents
There shall be one (1) Port Agent in each of the ten (10) constitutional ports; namely: New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Mobile, New Orleans, Houston, Algonac, Oakland, St. Louis and Piney Point.
In accordance with the above-mentioned Article X, Section 1(e) of our Constitution, I am required to recommend a bank, a bonded warehouse, regular office thereof, or any similar depository, to which the ballots are to be mailed, no later than the first regular meeting in October of this year. I will make such a recommendation to the membership before such deadline.
As provided for in Article XIII, Section 1, nominations open July 15, 2020 and close August 15, 2020.
The foregoing constitutes your President’s Pre- Balloting Report and, subject to my further recommendation as to the depository to be made hereafter, I recommend its adoption.