The following news release was issued by the National Maritime Center on January 8.
Update – Mitigation Efforts Due to Lapse in Fiscal Year 2019 Appropriations and Partial Government Shutdown
To mitigate the impact caused by the partial lapse in appropriations and shutdown of National Maritime Center (NMC) operations, the following actions are being taken:
- Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC) (National Endorsements only) and Medical Certificates that expired in December 2018 or expire in January 2019 are extended as valid until March 31, 2019. Print the attached letter and carry it with your credential.
- Additional Information (AI) letters, sent to mariners that expired in December 2018 or expire in January 2019 are extended to March 31, 2019.
- Approval to Test (ATT) letters and mariner training course certificates that expired in December 2018 or expire in January 2019 are extended until March 31, 2019.
- For mariners whose 90-day testing cycles were interrupted by Regional Exam Center (REC) closures (starting on December 26, 2018), the days the RECs were closed will not count against the 90-day period. REC appointment calendars will be re-opened immediately once appropriations are restored.
- E-mail any course approval extension requests to [email protected].
The NMC understands the partial shutdown may affect our industry customers and stakeholders and we apologize for any potential inconvenience.
Kirsten R. Martin
Captain, U.S. Coast Guard