The U.S. Maritime Administration recently issued the following advisory. To access it on the agency’s website, click HERE.
2019-006-Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, Gulf of Aden, Bab-el-Mandeb, and Red Sea-Threats to U.S. Interests from Iran
1. Reference: U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-004.
2. Issue: Reporting indicates heightened Iranian readiness to conduct offensive operations against U.S. forces and interests.
3. Since early May, there is an increased possibility that Iran and/or its regional proxies could take action against U.S. and partner interests, including oil production infrastructure, after recently threatening to close the Strait of Hormuz. Iran or its proxies could respond by targeting commercial vessels, including oil tankers, or U.S. military vessels in the Red Sea, Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, or the Persian Gulf.
4. Guidance: U.S. commercial vessels operating in this area are advised to review U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-004.
5. Contact Information: U.S. flag vessels are advised to report any incidents immediately to coalition naval vessels on VHF Channel 16, the 5th Fleet Battle Watch via phone at 973-1785-3879, and email details to: [email protected]. U.S. flag commercial vessels bound for the Strait of Hormuz in either direction are encouraged to contact the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet Naval Cooperation and Guidance for Shipping (NCAGS) Watch at least two days prior to transit at: [email protected] or 973-3904-9583.
6. Per 33 CFR 101.305, all suspicious activities and events must be reported to the U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802. In this region, such activities and events should additionally be reported to the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet NCAGS Watch at the email address or phone number listed above.
7. For any questions about this advisory, contact [email protected]. Supplemental information may also be found on the MARAD Office of Maritime Security website at:
8. Cancellation of Prior Advisories: This message will automatically expire on November 5, 2019.
Comments are closed.