Editor’s note: The U.S. Department of State issued this notice earlier in the year. Please note that the mailing address differs from the one that appeared in prior versions. For a PDF copy of the notice, click HERE.
Updated Notice to Mariners With International Voyages
Effective February 18, 2022
To better serve mariners during this time we are updating our temporary provisions for passport renewals. These provisions are subject to change once operations are on a more normal footing.
• Be a credentialed merchant mariner;
• Be eligible to apply on a DS-82 application for passport renewal. (Check eligibility at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html); and
• Have a current passport that is expired or expiring in 7 months or less.
Application and Mailing Instructions
- Applicants must submit the following:
• DS-82 application completed, signed, and dated. Please use the online form filler tool to fill out and print your form: https://pptform.state.gov. This tool produces a barcode to help us process your application faster;
• Passport photograph taken within the past six months;
• Current passport;
• Copy of Merchant Mariner Credential (MCC), front and back.
• A check or money order in the amount of $208.32 made payable to U.S. Department of State if applying for a passport book only. If applying for both the passport book and card, the total fee is $238.32. This amount includes the passport fee, expedite fee, and 1-2 day delivery fee (for information regarding passport fees, please visit travel.state.gov).
• Letter from supervisor on company letterhead or your U.S. mariner’s union.
- The supervisor letter should include the following details:
• Applicant’s full name;
• Printed name and title of applicant’s supervisor or mariners’ union representative;
• Supervisor’s or union representative’s signature; and
• Date the letter was issued.
- Applications must be sent by traceable overnight delivery service to:
El Paso Passport Agency (PPT/EP)
44132 MERCURE CIR PO Box 1073
STERLING VA 20166 – 1073
Attention: Mariner Program
Completed passports will be mailed using a 1-2 day delivery service. Please be sure the application includes a physical U.S. mailing address and not a P.O. Box.
Every effort will be made to process the passport application in about one week of receipt. For instance, applications received on Monday may be completed and sent out by Friday of the same week.
Requesting a Second Passport
Mariners may wish to apply for a second limited validity passport (4 years). Second passports provide greater flexibility, particularly if mariners need to apply for visas when traveling domestically and overseas. For more information, please see:
Below are the two options for applying for a second passport.
Option 1: Requesting a Second Passport when Renewing a Passport
To apply for a second passport, applicants must also include:
• A second DS-82 application (with photograph) completed, signed, and dated;
• Signed statement describing the need for a second passport. (This is required in addition to the company letter authorizing use of these special procedures); and
• Include payment for both applications in a single check totaling $416.64 ($208.32 per application).
Option 2: Requesting a Second Passport without Submitting a Current Valid Passport
If mariners need to use their current (10-year) passport while applying for their second passport, they can apply at a passport acceptance facility using a DS-11 form. They can expect to receive the second passport within the expedited timeframe posted at travel.state.gov. To apply at a passport acceptance facility, applicants need:
• Completed (not signed) DS-11 application;
• Passport photograph;
• Photocopy of their 10-year passport data page;
• Signed statement of need for a second passport as outlined on our website;
• Payment of $208.32 to the U.S. Department of State, which includes $60 for expedite service and the additional $18.32 for 1-2-day return delivery; and
• Additional payment of $35 to the passport acceptance facility to execute the application.
To locate the nearest passport acceptance facility, see https://iafdb.travel.state.gov. Please note that many passport acceptance facilities require customers to schedule an appointment ahead of their visit.
We thank you for your continued understanding and patience during these unprecedented times.
Comments are closed.