The following news release was issued by the U.S. Department of State Passport Services office on May 3.
NOTICE TO MARINERS WITH INTERNATIONAL VOYAGES
Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, Passport Services continues to have limited operations at our passport agencies and centers. We will assist mariners who urgently need a passport for international voyages, and whose current valid passport expires in 13 months or less.
Instructions for Urgent Assistance with Applying for a Passport:
1. Contact the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 and identify yourself as a mariner who urgently needs to apply for (or renew) your U.S. passport.
2. The Duty Officer will take your information and schedule an appointment at the nearest passport agency.
3. Application Packages must submit the following:
a. A completed DS 11 or DS 82 passport form, visit the Passport Services website for form instructions;
b. Passport Photograph;
c. Current Passport or evidence of citizenship such as an original or certified birth certificate or an original naturalization certificate;
d. Letter from your supervisor on company letterhead or your U.S. mariner’s union; and
e. A clear copy of your Merchant Mariner Credential (MCC).
4. The Employer’s/U.S. Mariners Union Letter should include the following details:
• Your full name;
• Printed name and title of your supervisor or mariners’ union representative;
• Signature of your supervisor or mariners’ union representative; and
• Date the letter was issued.
5. Bring your completed application, required documents, and the passport fee that includes the $60 expedited fee with you to your appointment.
Instructions for Urgent Assistance if You Have Already Applied for a Passport
If you have already applied for your passport but have not received it, contact the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 and identify yourself as a mariner who has already applied and urgently needs your passport. The Duty Officer will provide further instructions and the passport agency will contact you to coordinate the delivery or pickup of the completed passport.
Applying for a Passport for Personal (Non-Life or Death Emergency) Travel
If you are applying for a passport for personal (non-life or death emergency) travel, please see the Passport Services website for instructions and the most up-to-date processing times.
We regret any inconvenience and look forward to serving you.
# # #
Comments are closed.