Elections for the SIU Atlantic, Gulf, Lakes and Inland Waters are scheduled for later this year. As in past SIU election years, a comprehensive guide will be published in the Seafarers LOG prior to the balloting.
In the case of members eligible to vote who believe they will be at sea during the Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020 voting period or who otherwise think they will need absentee ballots, absentee ballots will be available.
The SIU constitution ensures that members who are eligible to vote and who find themselves in this situation may vote. Procedures are established in the SIU constitution to safeguard the secret ballot election, including the absentee ballot process.
Here is the procedure to follow when requesting an absentee ballot:
- Make the request in writing to the SIU office of the secretary-treasurer, 5201 Capital Gateway Drive, Camp Springs, MD 20746.
- Include in the request the correct address where the absentee ballot should be mailed.
- Send the request for an absentee ballot by registered or certified mail.
- The registered or certified mail envelope must be postmarked no later than midnight, Nov. 15, 2020 and must be received at 5201 Capital Gateway Drive, Camp Springs, MD 20746 no later than Nov. 25, 2020.
- The secretary-treasurer, after confirming eligibility, will send by registered mail, return receipt requested, to the address designated in the request, a ballot, together with an envelope marked “Ballot” and a mailing envelope no later than Nov. 30, 2020.
- Upon receiving the ballot and envelope, vote by marking the ballot. After voting the ballot, place the ballot in the envelope marked “Ballot.” Do not write on the “Ballot” envelope.
- Place the envelope marked “Ballot” in the mailing envelope which is imprinted with the mailing address of the bank depository where all ballots are sent.
- Sign the mailing envelope on the first line of the upper left-hand corner. Print name and book number on the second line. The mailing envelope is self-addressed and stamped.
- The mailing envelope must be postmarked no later than midnight, Dec. 31, 2020 and received by the bank depository no later than Jan. 5, 2021.
Comments are closed.