Click HERE for the one-page, PDF Paul Hall Center Health Questionnaire/Acknowledgement Form
The SIU-affiliated Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education, in Piney Point, Maryland, is scheduled to reopen Aug. 1. An array of safety-related modifications are being implemented.
Initially, the school will offer a limited number of upgrading courses, with reduced class sizes. The full course content will be presented in a shorter-than-usual period, in order to get students in and out more quickly. Apprentice training will resume in September.
Please keep in mind that we are complying with CDC, state and local guidelines, which continue evolving. Without exception, your safety is at the forefront of every decision at the school.
Following are some notes on the reopening. The full, formal guidance is available in PDF format HERE.
- At least during the initial reopening period, students must remain on campus for the duration of their respective courses (including weekends). This is not a lightly made decision, but is being done with safety in mind. Please pack and prepare for your time at the school just as if you were heading to a ship. We do not have a firm timeline for this policy, but envision it as temporary.
- The original course schedule for 2020 has been completely scrapped. New course dates will be available on the SIU website and will be published in the Seafarers LOG. Course dates will continue to be added.
- The application process is unchanged.
- Incoming students are asked to self-quarantine for 14 days prior to travelling to campus. They must complete a health questionnaire upon arrival. Incoming students also will be shown a campus safety and sanitation video, and will be asked to sign a statement indicating they have watched the video.
- All students’ temperatures will be taken upon arrival to the school and daily in the morning in the classrooms.
- Proper face coverings are required on campus. They will be made available as needed to students; however, students are encouraged to bring their own.
- Many steps are being taken to help ensure both functionality and safety. Meal periods will be assigned, altered and staggered. Class starting times will be altered to help promote social distancing. No family members or guests should come to the school until further notice. Gym access will be limited.
- The following courses will be offered beginning in August: Able Seafarer Deck; Certified Chief Cook; Chief Cook Assessment Programs; BT Revalidation; Chief Steward; Government Vessels; BT/Advanced Firefighting Revalidation.
Again, class sizes will be smaller than usual, and the school will continue complying with all state and local regulations.
We thank everyone for their patience and flexibility as we deal with this “new normal.”
Those with questions should contact the admissions office by phone at (301) 994-0010 (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Piney Point time), or by email at [email protected]
Comments are closed.