The U.S. Coast Guard’s National Maritime Center has issued the following announcement. A PDF copy is linked at the bottom.
Reopening of RECs Honolulu & Houston and MU San Juan
The National Maritime Center (NMC) is reopening Regional Examination Centers (RECs) Honolulu and Houston, and Monitoring Unit (MU) San Juan for limited examination services beginning Monday, August 24, 2020. Additionally, REC Juneau and MU Ketchikan reopened on August 17, 2020. Mariners seeking to schedule examinations may do so by calling the appropriate phone number or contacting the appropriate e-mail address:
REC Houston – [email protected]
REC Honolulu – [email protected]
MU San Juan – (787) 729-2368
REC Juneau – [email protected]
MU Ketchikan – (907) 225-4496 (extension #3)
- Examination appointment request e-mails should include the applicant’s name, mariner reference number, requested testing date(s), phone number, and a copy of their Approved to Test Letter(s).
- Examination services will be by appointment only. No walk-in appointments are available, and all other application customer service functions will continue to be handled remotely.
- Mariners will be subject to COVID-19 screening questions and temperature checks.
- Mariners experiencing COVID-19 symptoms (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea), will not be permitted to enter the REC/MU and will need to reschedule their appointment.
- Mariners are required to wear a face covering at all times. Those who refuse to wear a face covering, or who remove face coverings during exams, will be dismissed and could be subject to examination module failure. Persons with documented health issues which prevent them from wearing face coverings must notify the REC/MU when scheduling an appointment.
- Mariners should bring their own #2 pencils, a non-programmable calculator, and plotting equipment. No other personal belongings are allowed in the facility.
- All counter service appointments and hand delivery of applications remain suspended.
The Customer Service Center remains open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday. Please reach our call center at 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662) and [email protected]. The NMC will announce future REC/MU openings shortly.
/K. R. Martin/
Kirsten R. Martin
Captain, U.S. Coast Guard
Comments are closed.